Hamilton Academical logo

Accies 1-1 Kilmarnock, 22nd December

Accies web reporter Mark Gillespie with Saturday’s details


Ladbrokes Premiership,

Hope Stadium

Saturday 22nd December 2018, 3 pm

Hamilton 1 Academical Kilmarnock 1


Both draws this season have come against the same opposition. Mickel Miller’s first half penalty cancelled out an early strike from ex Accie Eamonn Brophy, as we emerged from a battling performance to claim a valuable point. Amazingly, this was also our first home league draw in 13 months.

After results elsewhere we now sit two points clear of St Mirren, but only four points behind ninth placed Motherwell ahead of the festive fixtures.

Similarly to last week it was another slow start as we fell behind,  but we grew into the game late in the first half to earn a deserved point against the on form visitors. The downside was the loss of Darian MacKinnon and James Keatings during the game to injury. Both will now be assessed for the visit to Tynecastle.

Post match Martin Canning thought his side deserved a share of the points.

“It was a hard fought point. I thought a draw was probably a fair result. Kilmarnock started like a team high on confidence. We managed to get through that period, got our goal and started the second half well. “

“We could even have won it. Scott hits the post and Mickel Miller’s had a chance late on. The game became stretched and Kilmarnock put us under a bit of pressure late on, but they didn’t create an awful lot.”

“The injuries shouldn’t be too bad. Daz felt his calf a bit tight, so we didn’t take any risks and took him off. Keatsy has a dead leg. Both can hopefully settle quickly. They’ll get as much treatment as they can and see if they can go on Wednesday.”

We made just one change from Ibrox last weekend, Mickel Miller returning from illness to start in place of Rakish Bingham up front. Killie likewise made the single switch, Scott Boyd returning to Steve Clarke’s line up in place of Kirk Broadfoot.

There were echoes of last week as Accies made a ponderous start, and the visitors were in front from their first real surge forward on five minutes. Jordan Jones exchanged passes with Greg Taylor down the left side of the box, and the cross deflected into the path of Eamonn Brophy to score low from a tight angle.

It almost went from bad to worse two minutes later, as Jones let fly with an edge of box effort, after Accies had given up possession again in their own half. The shot sailed just wide of Woods far post.

Accies had made heavy weather of the first 15 minutes, but started to look more of an attacking force. McGowan almost provided some magic on 18 minutes, with a dribbling run into the box, thwarted by a last gasp Stephen O’Donnell challenge

But Killie still looked likelier to score the next goal. Woods got down to stop another long range effort from Jones on 24 minutes, with Greg Stewart just off target four minutes later. Brophy was also obviously enjoying things against his old club, finding space and off target with a couple of half chances.

Accies’ best openings looked to be when getting runners at the Killie defence. Darian MacKinnon almost brought hope, with a run into the Killie box on 29 minutes, but Bachmann was able to block the effort.

But we were level on 36 minutes, as Keatings took a short corner, and his cross struck the hand of  Brophy in the Killie box. MacKinnon had the ball in the net but Bobby Madden had pointed to the spot. Miller stepped up to level with his seventh goal of the season.

Killie might have been the happier to see the break, as Accies enjoyed a much better spell, and Aaron McGowan was inches from putting us ahead with a header just over from another Keatings corner.

We came even closer three minutes after the break, Scott McMann rattling the bottom of the post after a swift counter attack and set up by Miller.

A physical contest then took its toll, with MacKinnon and Keatings both withdrawn injured, on 55 and 64 minutes.

Neither side was creating much. Mickel Miller almost had had opening on 71 minutes, picked out by Martin, but couldn’t get the ball out from under his feet.

Kilie had a much better chance to edge in front on 76 minutes. Kris Boyd flicked on for Greg Stewart. The Killie man burst through to pick his spot, but fired wide of Woods’ left hand post.

Accies were clinging on as Killie threw everything at in a frantic closing five minutes, but held firm to earn a big point. Woods showed good reactions to stop a Ndjoli effort on 86 minutes, as we hung on for the point.

Accies: Woods, McGowan, McMann, Gordon, Kilgallon, Imrie, Keatings (Brustad, 64),Miller, Taiwo, MacKinnon (c)(Martin, 53), Sowah (Want, 49); Subs Unused: Marsden, Tshiembe, Bingham, Monlouis

Accies Cautions: Imrie, 45, Miller, 55, McGowan, 80

Accies Goals: Miller (pen, 36)

Killie: Bachmann, O’Donnell, Taylor, Power, Dicker, Jones, Boyd, Findlay, Stewart (Ndjoli, 82),  Brophy (K Boyd, 65), Burke (Tshibola, 79)Subs Unused: MacDonald, McKenzie, Boyd, Ndjoli, Waters, Millen, Tshibolapa

Killie Goals: Brophy, 5


Referee: Bobby Madden Assistants: Drew Kirkland, Graham McNeillie 4th Official: Graham Beaton


Attendance: 3401



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

tickets to all upcoming matches

Don’t miss your chance to see Hamilton Accies in action! Get your tickets now!

Join The Elite Youth Academy

Unleash your football potential and chase your dreams with Hamilton Accies Elite Youth Academy.