Hamilton Academical logo

Accies 1-4 Rangers, Friday 29 September

Reporter Martin McConnell with Friday’s details

Ladbrokes Premiership

at The SuperSeal Stadium

Friday 29th September 2017 at 7.45pm.

Hamilton Academical 1 Rangers 4

The 3-1 half time scoreline would suggest that we took a hammering, we did and we didn’t. Despite going a goal in front after a Redmond strike inside the first minute, it was a pretty even game until Declan John struck a spectacular leveller 20 minutes later. The flood gates opened, John scored for a second time and Candeias a third, all inside six crazy minutes.

The second half was more of a contest, but no less action packed. Rangers went down to ten men when Jack was shown a second yellow, and Pena didn’t, when he handled the ball into the net four minutes later when already on a yellow. Graham Dorrans score from the penalty spot, then Rakish  Bingham’s spot kick was saved. Accies just couldn’t find the back of the net.

The Accies boss said later,  “I thought we started the game very well. We had talked about our starts and had gone behind in a couple of games, and how important it is for us to start on a different foot, and we did that. We got the goal early and from there had a crazy 15 minutes spell in which we seemed to switch off.

We made too many individual mistakes and it ended up costing us. The second half was a strange half of football, they got a man sent off and you’re thinking that we can still get something from this game. Then again, we make an individual error and gift them a penalty, after that we probably had three, four, five real good clear opportunities that included missing a penalty of our own.

It’s one of those nights were I’m bitterly disappointed, more so with that 15 minute spell in the first half. We talked so much this week about the concentration you need to have when playing against the top teams. You’ve got to have your concentration and stay focused, too many tonight switched off at crucial moments and good teams punish you.”

Accies named a side that contained three changes to the one that lost to the Saints last Saturday, with Darren Jamieson coming in for the injured Gary Woods, Danny Redmond for the suspended Darian MacKinnon and Scott McMann, back from injury,  for Massimo Donati. Rangers made just the one change from the Old Firm derby, with Declan John back from injury and in for Lee Hodson.

With only 52 seconds gone, the stadium erupted when Accies went in front, after Rakish Bingham made his way past Cardoso and cut into the Rangers penalty area. His angled run and shot was saved by Foderingham, Danny Redmond was first to respond and struck from the rebound past the ‘gers keeper from 12 yards out.

In answer, the sides attempted to probe each other defences without much luck. Most balls forward tended to be wasted, until Declan John made a lightning quick 25-yard run to the corner of the Accies penalty area, where he sent a low driven shot into the bottom corner of the Hamilton net, to leave Darren Jamieson no chance.

A couple of minutes later, the visitors went two in front after John played a one two with Windass to send him on a tight run into the box, he shot from wide, Jamieson got a glove to it but went in at the near post. Accies began to fall apart, undoing all the good early work when Pena broke through one on one with Jamieson, a goal looked certain but the keeper saved.

Rangers began to take a massive amount of confidence from the turn around, and Accies folded at the back to concede a third inside six minutes after Graham Dorrans’ played a ball over the top and in behind the Hamilton defence, where Daniel Candeias latched onto the ball and smash past the keeper.

However, Accies weren’t finished yet and managed to get a foot back into the game. Danny Redmond’s 20-yard strike being turned around the post for a corner kick after the keeper dived across his goal line, then Alex Gogic watched as Foderingham made a second save moments later to deny the big Cypriot from outside the penalty area.

The second half started well for Accies, the scoreline forgotten for the moment as they competed for everything. Pena handled the ball into the Hamilton net, the referee saw it and disallowed without a further caution. Moments later, Ryan Jack was sent off after being shown a second yellow for a going over the top of the ball on Crawford.

Rangers went further in front after being awarded a penalty kick after an Alex Gogic challenge on Jason Holt, Rangers captain Graham Dorrans stepped up to make it four. Changes were made, Donati came on for Redmond and Biabi for Longridge. Biabi shot wide of goal with his first touch, then Scott McMann stuck across the goal and wide of the back post.

With 18 minutes of the game still to play, Accies were awarded a spot kick, the keeper saved well from Bingham, and the rebound was sent wide of the goal. Steven Boyd forced a great save with a back-post header, followed up with shots by Imrie, Biabi and Greg Docherty all saved by the Ibrox stopper.

Accies: Jamieson, Skondras, McMann, Tomas, Imrie (c), Docherty, Bingham, Redmond (Donati 61), A Crawford (S Boyd 75), Gogic, Longridge (Biabi 63). Subs Unused: Fulton, Lyon, Hughes, Cunningham.

Goals: Redmond 52 seconds

Cautions: Docherty.

Rangers: Foderingham, Tavernier, John, Cardoso, Jack, Dorrans, Windass, Morelos (Herrera 73), Candeias (Gomes 90), Pena (Holt 55), McCrorie. Subs Unused: Alnwick, Hodson, Nemane, Wilson.

Goals: John 20, 24, Candeias 26, Dorrans 58 pen.

Cautions:Pena, Jack 
Red Card: Jack (2nd yellow)

Referee: Andrew Dallas. Assistants: Sean Carr & Dougie Potter. 4th Official: Nick Walsh.

Attendance: 5400.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

tickets to all upcoming matches

Don’t miss your chance to see Hamilton Accies in action! Get your tickets now!

Join The Elite Youth Academy

Unleash your football potential and chase your dreams with Hamilton Accies Elite Youth Academy.