Hamilton Academical logo

Accies 1 Aberdeen 0

After three successive league draws we picked up our second league win of the season in defeating Aberdeen 1-0 at The SuperSeal Stadium on Tuesday night. The only goal of the game was an Alex D’Acol penalty in the 6th minute after his jersey had been pulled by the Aberdeen defender.

With chances for both sides, and good displays from the whole team, and a clean sheet on his home debut for Gary Woods, there was no further scoring.

The result took us up to 6th, in advance of the remaining Wednesday night games.

Here is web reporter Martin McConnell’s take on the game

Ladbrokes Premiership

SuperSeal Stadium, Hamilton

Tuesday 25th October 2016 at 7.45pm.

Hamilton Academical 1 Aberdeen 0

The Dandy Dons travelled down to Lanarkshire in full expectation of extending their winning run to seven matches, and closing the gap with leaders Celtic down to a single point. Instead, they got an Accies side that got in their faces and came away with a much deserved victory.

We took the lead early on thanks to a  spot kick that Alex D’Acol put away with some confidence. This didn’t slow Accies down as the fans cheered them on, but they just couldn’t get that second goal that might have made the second half much more comfortable.

Aberdeen’s second half was much improved though and they put Hamilton under quite a bit of pressure.  However, Accies stood up well to the test and managed to counter with some effect, and in the end got the win and that all important clean sheet that propelled them up the table.

Accies boss Martin Canning said afterwards “I thought the performance was up there, they worked so hard and pressed them well. I thought that in second half we created a couple of opportunities and defended really well, which was important as we put ourselves in a good position to win the game like I was saying. Tonight we managed to see it out and get the three points.”

Martin Canning made two changes to his line up, bringing skipper Mikey Devlin back in for Massimo Donati after six weeks out with an injured knee, and Eamonn Brophy replacing Rakish Bingham. Whilst the Dons made the one change by replacing Niall McGinn with Wes Burns.

After starting to edge themselves on top, Accies were awarded a penalty kick after only five minutes when Anthony O’Connor was seen to clearly pull Alex D’Acol’s jersey. D’Acol then stepped up and converted his fourth of the season from the spot.

Aberdeen seemed to struggle after going one down. D’Acol struck low into the side netting after cutting inside and skipping past a defender, Darian MacKinnon forced a save from Lewis with a 25 yard strike, then Eamonn Brophy took advantage of some mixed signals to strike wide of the back post.

But as if in warning not to get too big for their boots, Graeme Shinnie sent a warning salvo skimming past the Accies cross bar from the edge of the box. The match opened up a bit and Gary Woods showed a bit of class when foiling a Johnny Hayes effort from six yards. The Dons were participating fully now.

Woods made a cracking goal line save from a Reynolds header. Ali Crawford replied with a corner kick played into a gaping hole on the edge of the Dons penalty area. Grant Gillespie ran in, took a touch, and blasted right at goal. Unfortunately his goal bound shot was deflected wide a foot from the line.

A half time tongue lashing from Derek McInnes was probably the reason Aberdeen started the second half at a lightning quick pace. Shay Logan made a strong run into the Accies penalty area and went down under his own steam, there were appeals for a penalty but the referee was having none of it.

Adam Rooney headed agonisingly wide from a Johnny Hayes cross, then Hayes had a go himself seconds later when he struck just inches high of the Hamilton goal. The Aberdeen fans were by now going apoplectic with every decision not going their team’s way.

The Dons made three changes on 64 minutes in an attempt to change the course of the game in an attempt to get that seventh win. Accies first chance of the half fell to Greg Docherty after being played on by a great Gramoz Kurtaj ball, but Joe Lewis saved.

The match slowly but surely began to swing Accies way in the last twenty minutes, and a desperate Aberdeen defence looked stretched as they had to cope with Accies breaking forward in numbers. The match was saw out and three points gained, and now onto Dundee on Saturday.

Accies: Woods, Devlin, Gillespie, Imrie, Docherty (Redmond 82), D’Acol, Crawford (Longridge 90+2), MacKinnon, Brophy (Kurtaj 58 ), Sowah, Sarris. Subs Unused: Thomson, Bingham, McMann, Want.

Goal: D’Acol 6 pen.

Aberdeen: Lewis, Logan, Considine, O’Connor, Reynolds (Storie 64), Shinnie, McLean, Maddison (Pawlett 64), Burns (McGinn 64), Hayes, Rooney. Subs Unused: Alexander, Jack, McKenna, Storey.

Referee: William Collum. Assistants: Sean Carr & Ralph Gordon. 4th Official: Steven Kirkland.
Attendance: 2315.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

tickets to all upcoming matches

Don’t miss your chance to see Hamilton Accies in action! Get your tickets now!

Join The Elite Youth Academy

Unleash your football potential and chase your dreams with Hamilton Accies Elite Youth Academy.