Hamilton Academical logo

Accies 4-0 Dundee

In the final league game of the season we defeated Dundee 4-0 to secure 11th place and enter the play-offs where we will now face Dundee United over two legs.

Having gone into the post split fixtures unbeaten in four games, we then lost the first four games after the split, before this amazing but totally deserved 4-0 win over the Dens Park side this afternoon. Our last two league wins have therefore come against Dundee.

Michael Devlin returned after missing Tuesday’s defeat through injury, however he was replaced in the first half after suffering another injury. He now faces further tests.

Two goals in two minutes midway through the first half from Rakish Bingham, then an absolute peach from Ioannis Skondras gave us a 2-0 lead early on, before second half goals from a Dougie Imrie penalty in 55 minutes, after David Templeton, making his first league start in more than two years was tripped after a good run, then Ali Crawford nice low strike 20 minutes later settled a more than comfortable 4-0 win.

Web reporter Mark Gillespie gives us his take on the game

Ladbrokes Premiership

SuperSeal Stadium

Saturday 20th May 2017 at 3pm.

Hamilton Academical 4 Dundee 0

It was a day for players to stand up and be counted, with Accies knowing anything less than a victory risked outright relegation from the Ladbrokes Premiership. One ear was on events from Inverness, but fate was in our own hands and we put in an outstanding performance to book a place in the play-off against Dundee United. 


A commanding first half display put Accies firmly in the driving seat at half time, as events elsewhere became irrelevant. Manager Martin Canning now wants to carry that feel good factor on to Tannadice on Thursday night. He said, “We now have two massive games, they’re two games we are capable of winning. If we play like that, then I think we must have a decent chance. It was a fantastic performance and we got what we deserved.”


“It was actually a similar performance to the Ross County game where we had no luck at all and lost the game. Today everything went as it should have done. It’s pleasing to go into the play-off games on the back of two strong performances and a strong result as well. All over the pitch everyone won their battles. The aim was to get the ball down and play because we had to score goals. Thankfully it worked today.”


He went on, “It was probably one of our best performances of the season. It’s pleasing to get that under so much pressure. The third goal was important. From there we were in total control and that meant we could save a bit and not use so much nervous energy.”


Nevertheless, a nervous anticipation greeted the players onto the pitch, with few expecting Accies to sail through this one so comfortably. Two up and cruising at half time through Bingham’s close range strike and a Skondras cracker, Dougie Imrie’s penalty on the hour mark settled any remaining doubts, before Ali Crawford gave the score line an even more impressive look.


Martin Canning made four changes to the side from the defeat up in Dingwall, with captain Michael Devlin returning in place of Massimo Donati. After scoring in midweek Templeton earned a starting spot in place of Alex D’Acol, with Danny Redmond slotting into midfield and Louis Longridge dropping to the bench.  


Dundee meanwhile made just the one change from defeat to Inverness, with Kostadin Gadzhalov replacing Kevin Gomis. Accies held the edge over the Dark Blues in recent games at the Super Seal, but Dundee were going for their third away win on the trot. 


It was an attacking Accies formation, with three at the back and Skondras and Imrie getting into advanced positions down each flank. With MacKinnon a driving force in the middle, Accies pressed Dundee back from the off in what was a very promising opening 20 minutes. 


However, it was the visitors who created the first clear opening on 20 minutes, as El Bakhtaoui took advantage of a loose McMann pass to play Paul McGowan clean through on goal, but his shot was beaten away by Matthews. 


It marked a decisive period in the game as Accies grabbed the crucial opener two minutes later. Templeton, starting his first league match in more than two years, won a corner down the left and Crawford’s in swinger found Devlin inside the penalty area. His header was heading in the direction of Scott Bain’s clutches, only for Rakish Bingham to get in front of the Dundee ‘keeper and divert over the line. 


It was the first goal of a sensational two-minute salvo, as Templeton nice dink played Skondras through on the right edge of the Dundee area on 26 minutes. With his shot crashing in off the underside of Bain’s cross bar, and what a way to open your goal account for Accies. 


The best Dundee could offer by way of response was a Holt free kick just wide on 32 minutes. From a similar set piece at the other end Ali Crawford rocketed an effort just over three minutes later. 


The only black mark on the day came on 36 minutes as Accies were forced to withdraw injured Michael Devlin for Massimo Donati. The captain now looks a doubt for the play off, but his team mates kept their shape in his absence, looking comfortable and confident in possession as they saw out the remainder of the half. 


Templeton almost put the seal on a perfect first 45 with some individual magic on the edge of the box, beating three defenders before having his shot parried out by Bain. 


Dundee showed the earliest attacking threat in the second half, with MacKinnon forced to clear an Ojamaa cross over his own bar on 49 minutes. From the resulting corner Bingham then cleared a McGowan shot off his own line. 


But Hamilton grabbed full control of the game on 56 minutes, when Templeton again showed why he remains so highly rated and won a penalty on the left side of the area, brought down by Paul McGowan. Dougie Imrie stepped up to fire past Bain for number three and ease any relegation worries. 


Dundee’s league status was assured and by now they looked a beaten side. They came close though on 67 minutes, with Remi Matthews pulling off an outstanding fingertip stop from a goal bound Kevin Holt header.  


Accies put the finishing touches on a very impressive day’s work on 76 minutes, as Redmond dispossessed McGowan in his own half before slipping Crawford through on goal. He had time to set himself and guide a low finish into Bain’s corner for number four.


Accies: Matthews, Skondras, Devlin (c) (Donati 36), Imrie, Redmond (Gillespie 79), Crawford, Gogic, Bingham, MacKinnon, McMann, Templeton (Longridge 60). Subs Unused: Woods, Docherty, D’Acol, Watson.

Goals: Bingham 22, Skondras 24, Imrie 55 pen, Crawford 75.

Caution: Gogic.

Dundee: Bain, Holt, Vincent, O’Dea, O’Hara (Williams 72), Ross (Wighton 29), McGowan, El Bakhtaoui, Haber (Ojamaa 45), Gadzhalov, Kerr. Subs Unused: Ferie, Dryden, Higgins, Smith.

Caution: El Bakhtaoui.

Referee: Crawford Allan. Assistants: Alan Mulvanny & David Roome. 4th Official: Mat Northcroft.

Attendance: 261




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

tickets to all upcoming matches

Don’t miss your chance to see Hamilton Accies in action! Get your tickets now!

Join The Elite Youth Academy

Unleash your football potential and chase your dreams with Hamilton Accies Elite Youth Academy.