Hamilton Academical logo

Clinical Accies through to SPFL Trust Trophy Quarter-Finals

by Andrew Petrie – 6th October – 10pm

Adam McGowan’s first professional goal helped Hamilton Accies through to the quarter-finals of the SPFL Trust Trophy after a 2-0 win over Aberdeen ‘B’.

A fantastic individual goal from the youngster was followed by a similarly superb effort from Kyle Munro – meaning both goals came straight from the Academy production line.

It could have been more following Dean Campbell’s first-half red card, with substitutes Andy Ryan and Lewis Smith also testing the Dons’ backline – the latter hitting the post.

Up next for Accies is either Kilmarnock or Queen’s Park in the next round, with the tie currently scheduled for the 30th November.


It was be the two goalscorers who would initially test young Tom Ritchie in the Aberdeen goal – McGowan having an effort saved and Munro giving it a go from distance.

Aberdeen’s Kevin Hanratty would have his own effort from outside the box saved by Joe Hilton – the most the on-loan Blackburn Rovers keeper had to do all night.

Aberdeen ‘B’ gaffer Barry Robson saw his game-plan altered drastically after half-an-hour when Dean Campbell – the Dons’ most senior player – was sent off for hauling Ronan Hughes down when the Hamilton midfielder was clear through on goal.

Accies took the lead just six minutes later through an unbelievable solo effort from McGowan. The 18-year-old was played through on goal by a lovely first-time pass from Ronan Hughes. He took a touch, skipped past two Aberdeen defenders to cut onto his right, and slammed a low shot into the bottom corner from just outside the box.


Stuart Taylor made two changes at half-time, and they both almost got themselves on the scoresheet instantly.

Lewis Smith was the first to trouble the Aberdeen goal, with a trademark cutback onto his left foot – but his shot could only be palmed onto the post by Ritchie.

The keeper had to look alive from the resulting corner, saving Andy Ryan’s header from close range. Ryan went close again a minute later, showing a clean pair of heels to Jack Gurr but once more, Ritchie came to Aberdeen’s rescue.

In truth, the 18-year-old keeper – who is on loan at Highland League side Huntly – kept the Dons in the game with numerous close range saves, denying Ben Stirling and Adam McGowan in the second-half as well.

However, there was nothing he could do about Hamilton’s second. Kyle Munro, who was a menace to the Aberdeen defence all night, struck after an hour, cutting onto his left and curling an unstoppable effort across the keeper.

It was a rainy, dismal night in Lanarkshire, but the performance gave Stuart Taylor every reason to be cheerful after securing the Accies’ first consecutive home wins since May 2017.

Hamilton: Hilton; Stirling, Hamilton, Easton ©, McGinn; Virtanen, Mimnaugh, Hughes (Smith 45’); McGowan, Moyo (Ryan 45’), Munro
Subs: Scully; MacDonald, Want, Matheson, Redfern

Aberdeen: Ritchie; Gurr (Fatona 73’), Towler, Hancock, Milne, Yeats, Hanratty, Campbell, Ruth, MacIver (Lobban 76’), Mykyta
Subs: Oluyemi; Harvey, Lobban, Emslie, McKenzie, Murray

Attendance: 363

Referee: Steve Kirkland

Assistants: Steven Traynor, Barry Reid


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Post

tickets to all upcoming matches

Don’t miss your chance to see Hamilton Accies in action! Get your tickets now!

Join The Elite Youth Academy

Unleash your football potential and chase your dreams with Hamilton Accies Elite Youth Academy.